After making the trek to the Aeolian island of Panarea I completely understand why it is a travel destination for the rich and famous jet-set bunch. A. The island is a paradise but B. Its also a horrendous journey (unless you have your own personal yacht or helicopter). I never anticipated a trip...within the same country...taking as long as my journey from Hawaii to Italy. Although I guess I never made that trip with children either. Our two week vacation began on June 17th in the early morning. We drove down through Italy (with me in the backseat with the boys....I certainly don't envy any of you who had little brothers growing up on road trips). Unfortunately a few hours in we had a major mishap...vomit. P threw up all over the backseat of the car making me feel completely queasy as well...5 more hours in the heat didn't help either.
After finally arriving in Naples we drove through some traffic to make it to the Ancient Roman city of Herculaneum (preserved by the volcanic ash of the same eruption of Mt. Vesuvius as Pompeii). After a quick tour....we're talking 20 minutes here...we headed back to the car and off to the docks. From there we embarked on the longest leg of the trip...a 12 hour ferry ride from Naples to Panarea. Luckily we had little rooms and were able to get a full nights sleep. When we awoke the sun was rising above the sea and I got my first glimpses of where my next 13 days would be spent.
No comments:
Post a Comment