The metro was much newer and modern than Milano's. In fact, riding it felt like being on some futuristic ride. After getting off the metro in the center of Torino I immediately began looking for signs. I thought I followed a sign towards the Egyptian museum but my mistake again....wrong way! I ended up asking for directions...again (in Italian), but then got distracted by a market. Quickly wandered the market, then finally made my way back to the center and onto the museum.
Egyptian Museum...pretty awesome! Its actually the 2nd largest collection of only
Egyptian artifacts after Cairo! The actual museum itself was pretty cool because there's an archeological excavation in the courtyard and Torino's original Roman wall is still standing in the basement. Honestly I would love to know more about the Egyptians because I think I would have appreciated it a little more.After the museum I was STARVING (big surprise right?). I tried away from the touristy area a bit to just find a panino or pizza or something quick. As I was
followed by fish and shrimp and then fruit for desert (all accompanied by mineral water and spumante) and followed up of course by espresso. It wasn't exactly how I'd planned my lunch but nonetheless it was good and really helped with my Italian.
After lunch I headed out to Piazza Castello for some more sightseeing. I went inside the castle and found it to be incredible. Architecture is a passion of mine and I love seeing how it changes over time, especially in mansions
evolution from the medieval to baroque periods with specific attention paid to decorative details.
After a wander back through some of the main squares I was back at the (correct) train station and headed back to Milano!
Even though it was a solo trip I'm so glad that I went. It was great to get out of milan and see somewhere different. I had vague memories of the few hours I spend in Torino when I was 15
No comments:
Post a Comment