Tuesday, September 29, 2009

10 Things I've Learned About Italy...so far

In response to the fact that I've been living in Italy for over a month now (since August 21st....crazy!) I've decided to start compiling all the differences between Italy and America that I've noticed so far. I will try to update this posting as I notice more!

1. Italian drivers are crazy. I had heard this before arriving but didn't really understand how serious this statement was until I experienced it. Speed limits are never followed and honking is about as normal as left hand turns. Italian drivers really make New York and New Jersey drivers seem pretty tame..

2. Water always comes in bottles. Nobody drinks from the tap. Sparkling water (acqua gassata or frizzante) is just as common as naturale.

3. If you order a coffee you will get espresso unless you specify cafe americano (and they won't give you milk/cream unless you ask). Cappuchinos stop being served around 11 am. Since being in Italy I haven't seen a single Starbucks!

4. Little girls on the beach go topless...this was a bit of a shocker my first day in Forte dei Marmi. Around the age of 9 or 10 they start wearing their bathing suit tops.

5. Fashion really is a way of life. You can never be too dressed up and its unusual to see anyone walking around in sweatpants!

6. Alcohol is rarely drank with the intention of intoxication. Wine is used to accompany meals and is specialized by region and/or what it is being eaten with.

7. Italian men will always open your doors, pull out chairs, take your shopping bags/suitcases for you.

8. The pharmacies are way different and I still haven't totally figured them out yet. There are no CVS or Rite Aids!

9. Food really is a way of life. The Italians don't see food as just a way to survive, but as a major component of life. Fast food is rarely eaten because meals are always planned. Food is made from the best and freshest ingredients, always according to the region/season to ensure that the meal is as enjoyable as possible. Lunch is typically the biggest meal of the day, usually consisting of an antipasto, pasta, meat, or vegetable (the family I live with eats more like American families with larger dinners.) It is also very common to eat dinner quite late...7 or 8 is considered early. The food here really is incredible...the best breads, cheeses, pastas, etc.

10. Music, movies, magazines, tv, etc are not censored the way they are in America. Nudity in magazines is common in advertising, and even American songs on the radio use the unedited versions.


More to come I'm sure....Ciao!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment