Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Sick kids, Story Writing, and High School Musical

I know I'm pretty behind on blog posts and I apologize! While the kids were home sick for two weeks I really didn't have much time to post nor anything interesting to report! I have to say I did go a bit stir crazy (not to mention homesick and constantly hungry...I don't even want to know how many cookies I ate!) after being in the house for pretty much two weeks straight and unfortunately so did the kids. By the end of this weekend they were fighting with each other about everything which is totally to be expected. It made me appreciate my mom and all that steph and I put her through while growing up! With that said the kids were only really ill for about 4 days and hardly spend anytime in bed so I began to get more creative with how to entertain them without TV. After trying to read them both Harry Potter and the Narnia books (with no luck..."we know what happens, we saw the movie!") I finally stumbled upon an activity that captivated the attention of both children for several afternoons! I created a homework assignment for Paolo (which I did quite frequently during the week) where he needed to write and illustrate his own story about the dragons in the book he read. I also had Bea write a story using the vocabulary words I made up for her that week. The kids began not just writing the one stories but writing many and then after some typing and drawing we started making them little books! They even brought them into school yesterday to show their teachers and friends (who loved them!).

As a reward for doing good work and reading in the mornings I allowed the kids to watch a movie in English in the afternoons. The end of the week resulted in a High School Musical marathon....totally fine with me! The kids really got into the movies and Bea continued to sing the songs all throughout the day.

It wasn't a bad two weeks but I must say I am very glad that they are back in school!

Ciao!

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment