2. Exercise is not part of the culture here...my exercise classes at the gym are 45 minutes instead of the 1.5 hours I'm used to. Italian women don't seem to like sweating! There also don't seem to be any swimming pools in the city of milan.
3. All American/English TV shows or movies are dubbed into Italian.
4. There are immigrants from Africa EVERYWHERE on the streets. I've never been pestered so much before in my life. As you walk down the street they pretty much try to force the goods they are selling on you. They will even put a bracelet on your wrist if you aren't paying attention...then of course you must pay for it. In fact one of the first Italian phrases that I learned to say was "No Grazie" (no thanks).
5. Although exercise isn't in the culture...soccer is! It really is part of everyday life and being a fan of Inter vs. AC Milan can make or break a friendship or even define you.
6. Bidets...need I say more?
7. Italians iron pretty much every piece of clothing they own (maybe just my family though?).
8. There don't seem to be any major department stores or big box stores like wal-mart or target. A very refreshing feeling...but at the same time I do miss those target shopping sprees in central park.
9. Historic art and architecture is everywhere and very little of it preserved in the same way as it would be in America due to the massive amount of it (don't get me wrong there are plenty of museums and renovations of buildings, but there are little treasures everywhere like tiny churches and paintings in small museums that aren't "preserved" the way the would be in America). I also find it pretty crazy that there are buildings here that are centuries old, but are just regarded as normal additions to the city's streetscape whereas in America anything that is 100 years old or more is a huge landmark or historic house museum!
10. Italy is a very Catholic country. I can't even tell you how many times I've been asked if I am Catholic. When I try to explain that I was brought up Methodist most Italians haven't even heard of that denomination since being Christian in this country pretty much equates to Catholicism.
No comments:
Post a Comment