Monday, October 5, 2009

Random Night Out in Milano and Lake Como






After returning from Stresa on Saturday night I met up with Kimberley. Instead of trying to fight the crowds for aperitivo we decided to just grab pizza and cocktails. We walked around the Navilgi for awhile and then Kim showed me her new place. Her job gives her a studio apartment right on the canal! Its great...I have a feeling that i'll be visiting a lot! We walked back towards Via Torino and tried to put a plan together for the night. We were sitting down having a drink when a bunch of guys all wearing the same shirt came up to us and started speaking in Italian. We both thought they were trying to get us to sign a petition or something. When we asked them if they could speak English the guy talking to us (who's face also happened to be on the T-shirts) started to explain that he was getting married tomorrow and the guys that planned his bachelors party were trying to get as many random people as possible to come to the party. We decided that as long as we stuck together it would be fine, plus the party was right on the green line. So we met up with a load of other girls, from Rome, Naples, etc. and went to the party. It was actually a really good way to meet Italian people and even practice a little bit of Italian! So after some free food, drinks, matching tshirts, and dancing we called it a night and headed home.

Earlier in the night I'd gotten a call from Gaia's friend, Valiero who said he'd take me around Lake Como on Sunday. So he texted me the train stop I needed to take and I made plans to meet him in the morning. So here I am on the train again on my way back from another eventful day!

I arrived at the train this morning at 10:30 and we immediately drove to Lake Como. Our first stop was the town Bellagio where the hotel in Vegas drew its inspiration from. It was beautiful. I'd met Valiero once before at the Borra's house in Milano when they had people over. So we got to know each other better talking about the differences between our countries, etc. For lunch we went to a chalet in the mountains with a great view of the lake. The food was very hearty and different from what I've eaten thus far in Italy. After lunch he asked if I wanted to drive, but I politely refused...crashing a nice mercades would probably end the day on a pretty bad note.

Valiero told me about the villa that he bought and how during restorations they discovered an old fresco painting. After more research he discovered that the villa was actually an academy where Leonardo da Vincci was probably taught!

While on the mountain we stopped at a small park with a church and museum of cycling. The church was pretty much just a shrine to cyclists! Pretty cool--really made me realize how much Catholicism is engrained in every aspect of Italian life!

Even though I've only had 2 1/2 days off it feels like so much more! I've been to two different lakes, a bachelor's party, take trains, and seen boat races! So many different and new experiences for me! I'm so glad that I've had the opportunity to get out of Milan! It was a great break but I do actually miss the kids!

Ciao!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment